Saturday, July 25, 2009

Army Life

Wow! It's been a long time since I posted. My apologies. Life has been all about staying distracted lately. So lets see if I can bring you up to date in the Johnson Adventures.

Since the last update I gave was leaving Alabama, what has happened since we got to back to Texas?

Since I had to make the drive home alone . . . well with four kids and one dog . . . I took three days and stopped frequently. Anyone who knows me well, knows that I love field trips! We stopped at this cool park that was built for special kids in Alabama.

Next we stopped at the home of Helen Keller in Tuscumbia, AL. That was a really neat experience and sparked an interest in Short Stuff (my deaf child for those that don't know her.) This picture is my kids around the water well where Helen understood that everything had a name. This is a very real aspect of our lives as Short Stuff learns that words name things, people, feelings, and . . . well . . . everything.



Then we spent the night on an army base. I had rented a cabin and didn't expect anything fancy but we were pleasently surprised.


We moved into the 5th wheel again on my father-in-laws property. The 5th wheel may be small for a house, but its big for a 5th wheel! We call it home. Trying to make the most out of our time and stay busy, we filled our time with family, school, and field trips!

So making the most of being an Army family, we visited the Quandrangle on Fort Sam Houston. These tanks and helicopter was displayed outside and my homeschooled children got out their notebooks and took to drawing! How exciting!!

Of course, during this time Sprout is learning to walk and growing so fast. She loves baby dolls as any little girl would. She started walking at 10 months and is now running. She is such a ham!
I have actually been able to have a date . . . or two . . . with my hubby since we have been back to Texas. I still thinks he looks funny with the shaved face!

At the end of the school year, the kids participated in a homeschool end-of-year presentation. They were each given a certificate of completion and displayed what they did during the school year. Of course, my kids had mostly field trips displayed. That's what we love! Short Stuff also displayed the scarf she made and Little Man had a collection of novels we have read. And my favorite was their display of Bible Notebooks!


Then in June we were able to go to a week long deaf camp in Oklahoma. That was a blast.

And the most recent thing we have done is Ballet Camp for the girls. Sprout even joined in on the stretches! They all loved it.

No comments: