Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Our Road Trip

Well we made it to Texas! It was a bumpy ride, but we made it. Let me tell you our adventures.

Our trip started out with a good laugh. We pulled out about 8:00 Sunday morning. My husband had used our map program and decided to cut across to the freeway. That didn't work so well and we ended up back in the town we started in! So in an attempt to try it again we thought we would go the route we knew well. Half-way to the next town, I discovered that my thoughtful husband had turned off the electricity to the house. Oh no! My fridge!! So we turned around and headed back to the house. So at 10:00 we are back on the road.

But lo and behold, less than an hour down the road we have our first flat tire. So my capable husband quickly changes the tire and we head for the first Wal-Mart for a new tire. A bunch of money later and we are back on the road. Around 5:00 we made it across the state line and entered Mississippi, so we started looking for a place to camp. We found a nice, shady place with a swimming pool! The rv park said they were modem capable, but my computer didn't have a dial-up service so no internet. This might have been a minor detail, but my homework was due that night via internet. AHHH! I went to bed with the hope that I could email my professor the next day.

The next morning we headed out for Lousiana with the hopes of reaching Texas, our beloved state! 70 miles from the Texas border the A/C clutch went out on the truck, melting the serpentine belt. God was watching over us, because the next exit was a rest area and the belt didn't actually break until my husband brought the truck to a stop. My husband called a local auto parts store and had parts delivered. He is so handy - he had that truck back on the road in about an hour! But alas it is now 6:00 and time to find a camping spot. We almost made it to Texas, but not quite.

We pulled into the first rv park, and although it was a bare spot in the road, they had wireless internet!!! I got my homework turned in and I rested better. We pulled out at 8:00 and before we reached the state line we had another flat tire. My husband changed that tire with speeding 18 wheelers flying past. We stopped at the Texas state line a few miles down the road. Oh the feeling of coming home!

By 3:00 we made it to Isaiah's Place - one of our favorite places in Texas! Ahhh! Next we will head to our hometown for a visit and then bravely face the return trip home.

No comments: