Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I love food!!!!

There are times, like when it is a wind chill of -35 outside, that I bundle up, flip on the instant Netflix, and watch some realty programing. I know, I'm a dork. Well, as most of you know, I've been determined to lose weight before my hubby returns from Afghanistan. So flipping thru Netflix I found the show Ruby. And I discovered something (but I already knew it). I love food!

I found myself really relating to this 500 pound woman! Why couldn't I say no to all that bad food? Now my bad food is way different from her bad food, but it was the same emotion. I may not be 500 pounds, but my gluttony has cursed me with other health issues. I am hypoglycemic on the edge of diabetes and my large intestines doesn't function properly causing malabsorption. Now common sense would tell me to avoid sugars and build back up my intestinal enzymes. Do you know how hard that is?

"Little Children, keep yourselves from idols." 1 John 5:21

Food is my idol. How do I know this? Well it has taken many years for me to learn to share my food with my children. It is really hard for me to admit this, but its true. I hated to give up my "treats". I would hide chocolate or other goodies and eat them after the kids went to bed. I always made sure there would be enough for me and if there was an uneven number of muffins, I would get the extra one. This may not sound like an uncommon thing, but it was a heart matter for me. I wanted that food for me! Knowing that sugar is not a good thing for me, I still have a hard time saying no. Now I don't junk out and I consume way less sugar than the common American, but the fact that I can't say no bothers me.

I am proud to say that I now serve my children first and I eat what is left over. Granted it still upsets me when I miss out on some goodies, but that is a heart issue I am still praying through. This is just the tip of the iceberg, but admitting my struggles is the first step to recovery. I love to cook! And I love learning about the food God provided for us and how it can heal our bodies.

"And God said, 'Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food.'" Genesis 1:29

"Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything." Genesis 9:3

But there is no place for loving the creation over the Creator!

No comments: